Think you have what it takes to be a member of the Safety Compliance Management team?
We’re always looking for qualified candidates to join our team! Contact us today to find out how you can become a member of Safety Compliance Management. We currently have a few open positions we are looking to fill.
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume for consideration to Dave Mills, General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOT Hazmat Trainer/Consultant
Posted Oct. 2020
Provide consulting to organizations throughout the Bay Area and beyond in issues related to hazardous materials (hazmat) and hazardous waste handling, transportation, and disposal. This includes providing consulting services in areas such as HAZWOPER, DOT hazmat transportation, international dangerous goods transportation requirements (IATA/IMDG), RCRA/Title 22 Hazardous Waste storage and manifesting, Hazard Communication/GHS, and Hazardous Materials Business Plans.
Occasionally assist with training and consulting in other topics related to occupational safety and health, as necessary.
Deliver engaging training on a variety of hazardous materials/waste topics to employees at client sites at all levels within the client organizations. Assist in the development of training materials.
Works out of a central office but is in the field the majority of the time servicing clients. The majority of travel is within the greater San Francisco Bay Area, with some travel to the rest of California and occasionally outside of California. When not otherwise assigned to field work, works in the central office on assigned projects.
Work hours vary depending upon client needs, although most work is within the normal work week. Responds to internal (SCM) and external (client) communications in a timely fashion, including occasionally during non-business hours, as needed.
Reports to Operations Manager. Often works alone in the field but occasionally works with other service providers to deliver services to clients. But always works as part of a greater team of service providers and admin/logistical support providers to deliver high quality service.
Safety Compliance Management, Inc. (SCM) is a family-owned business that has been the premier provider of occupational health and safety consulting and training services in a variety of industries since 1991. We hold ourselves to high standards and are always looking for ways to improve our ability to provide the highest quality services to our clients. We believe our role is to support our clients in doing what they do, and we do that by knowing our stuff, being professional, and caring about doing the right thing. We tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear, and we insist on being able to back up what we say with evidence.
However, we live by the mantra that we take what we do seriously, but we don’t take ourselves seriously. We have fun doing what we do. We are a true team and we care for one another. Our people are what make us great so we do what we can to support them.
SCM values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter who is passionate about bringing value to organizations they work with. They are able to deal with ambiguous situations and identify what is required of them to meet project goals. They are very knowledgeable in hazardous materials/wastes compliance and in how to deliver effective training, but is continually driven to learn and improve themselves. They are ethical, responsible, and take ownership of the projects they are assigned to. They are organized and detail oriented. They are skilled in communicating to a variety of audiences.
Desired, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Attributes
- Ability to self-start in ambiguous situations
- Knowledge of the hazardous materials/wastes industry
- Knowledge of Cal/OSHA, DOT, IATA/IMDG, EPA, and other applicable regulations
- Ability to deliver engaging, effective training to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of human performance and systems thinking principles
- Ability to do research to support their recommendations and conclusions
- Ability to understand and prioritizes client needs
- Ability to develop timely responses to client and internal requests, even during off-hours, as needed
- Ability to adjust project plan as needed to changing conditions/client needs
- Ability to use technology (computer, email, Microsoft office) as needed
- Is appropriately organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work effectively as a team player
- Dresses and acts professionally based upon the context they are in
- Ability to read situations and adjust approach
- Ability to use good professional and ethical judgment
- Manages time appropriately
- Takes ownership and responsibility for their work
- Is driven to succeed/ambitious
- Minimum five years demonstrated, verifiable experience in a role with direct responsibility over hazardous materials/waste compliance
- Minimum five years demonstrated, verifiable experience developing and delivering training on hazardous materials/waste topics
- Competitive salary based on the types of services the candidate can provide to our clients
- Employee bonus program
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- Vacation and sick time
- Employer matching retirement plan
- Flex time
- Paid mileage for travel (or other travel costs, as appropriate)
- Paid continuing education and professional memberships
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 – $115,000.00 per year
- health and safety: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- San Ramon, CA 94583 (Required)
- CIH or CSP (Preferred)
- 25% (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Safety Compliance Management is the premier provider of safety consultation services, including instructor-led training seminars and classes, online training, site assessments, written program development, regulatory representation and other safety services.
Our team of professional trainers, Certified Safety Professionals and consultants perform a variety of routine and complex work in analyzing and administering various components of the safety management systems for large corporations, family-owned businesses, start-up operations and municipalities.
Due to continued growth in our business portfolio, we are now looking for additional instructors that can enhance our team and deliver high-level service to our clients.
The ideal candidate will:
- Provide the highest standard of technical safety and health training services to a variety of clients, either at their location, virtually or in an open enrollment setting at our training facility. All delivered training should be engaging, cognitive and meet the most updated and relevant regulatory requirements and be customizable to the clients’ specific needs upon request.
- Develop and update training lesson plan content to ensure it maintains relevance and meets all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Maintain professional expertise by attending professional development conferences and maintain all professional certifications.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree (Safety, Engineering or Construction)
- 5 years of related experience may substitute for the Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years related work experience (Advanced Safety Certificate, a CSP or a CUSA would substitute for the experience)
- Demonstrated skills in verbal communications, oral communications and presentations.
- Demonstrated experience teaching hazardous materials or construction safety-related topics including HAZWOPER, industrial trucks, DOT, IATA, IMDG.
- Bilingual – Spanish/English
- Construction, Hazardous Materials or DOT experience
- Training/Teaching Experience
- Knowledge of OSHA Regulations